Co-Motion Studio is pleased to be an organizing partner for One Billion Rising Memphis – a global campaign to raise awareness about violence against women. Join us Sunday, 2/16 at Co-Motion Studio in Crosstown for A Day of Support for Survivors:
12:30-1:30 Yoga for Healing and Renewing with Meredith Melvin.
This yoga class is designed to heal, uplift, and inspire you to feel your very best. We will use gentle movement to open the body, which will also help us practice sitting in meditation. We will also work with a healing mantra, or sound vibration, to help tune the mind to allow the body to let go and heal. Most of all, this class is purposed for your spirit – allowing it to shine through and be in its true nature: vibrant, happy, and radiant! No prior yoga experience necessary. Mats are available at the studio but please bring extras if you have them so we have enough to go around.
2:00-3:30 Healing Circle for Survivors. Therapists Jennifer Albright and Sharon Cash to facilitate.
4:00-5:30 Sacred Dance with Karen Snow of Rhythm of Yoga
“we honor those that have danced before us, those who will dance after us, and those we dance with…” Twirl, Shimmy and Let Yourself Go In this Fun and Sacred form of dance!
Each workshop is free and open to survivors of violence against women and supporters. Attendees are welcome to join for the whole day or for individual workshops. Additional parking and entrance is also available in the back of the building.
A global strike for justice
An invitation to dance
A call to men and women to refuse to participate in the status quo until rape and rape culture ends
An act of solidarity, demonstrating to women the commonality of their struggles and their power in numbers
A refusal to accept violence against women and girls as a given
A new time and a new way of being
Full schedule of One Billion Rising Memphis events below:
- Sunday, 2/9 at 4-6pm Film and Panel Discussion, “The Bro Code: How Contemporary Culture Creates Sexist Men” at First Congo. https://www.facebook.com/
- Tuesday, 2/11-6-8pm Rising for Justice in Memphis: A Community Conversation on Rape and Domestic Violence at First Congo. An open facilitated discussion on the rape kit crisis, police-survivor interaction, and justice for all Memphis women. https://www.facebook.com/
- Friday, 2/14 5-6:30pm One Billion Rising Rally and Vigil at Poplar & Highland. Join us and women around the world as we rally to bring awareness and honor the survivors and ourselves in a candlelight vigil https://www.facebook.com/
- Friday, 2/14 7:30-9:00 Ecstatic Dance with DJ INTUIGROOVE at Co-Motion Studio. A celebration through movement in a safe space. No dance experience required! https://www.facebook.com/
- Sunday, 2/16- A Day of Support for Survivors https://www.facebook.com/
- 12:30-1:30 Yoga for Healing and Renewing with Meredith Melvin at Co-Motion Studio.
- 2:00-3:30-Healing Circle for survivors; therapists Jennifer Albright and Sharon Cash to facilitate at Co-Motion Studio.
- 4:00-5:30-Sacred Dance with Karen Snow at Co-Motion Studio.